Take your SMSF knowledge to the highest level
One of the best ways to improve your knowledge and career prospects within the SMSF sector is through an industry-recognised qualification. The Graduate Certificate in Self-Managed Superannuation Funds has been designed by the SMSF Association and is available in conjunction with some of Australia’s leading tertiary education providers.
The Graduate Certificate in Self Managed Superannuation Funds is designed to formalise the knowledge of self-managed super funds and includes specific SMSF related occupation subjects.
Why should I consider the Graduate Certificate in SMSFs?
- You’ll gain a post-graduate (AQF Level 8) qualification dedicated to SMSFs through supported learning delivery.
- You may receive independent and highly regarded industry endorsement for your SMSF expertise as an SMSF Specialist Advisor (SSA®) or SMSF Specialist Auditor (SSAud®) through completion of their corresponding study units.
- Specialist SMSF Association designations allow you to enhance your profile and accessibility to clients through our ‘Find a Specialist’ function, that may lead in business growth.
- It will showcase your superior and complete understanding of SMSFs to clients, regulators and employers.
- You’ll improve your understanding of SMSF trustee behavioural finance and SMSF best practice.
- You’ll be helping to raise the financial advice industry’s education standard.
- The Graduate Certificate is an award qualification, meaning that it appears on the Australian Qualification Framework (AQF) table and therefore can be taken into account for enrolment into other qualifications.
- Academic qualification is recognised nationally and internationally and means that you have completed a particular course of study.
- An academic credential remains valid evidence of your education and is portable.
Since 1 January 2019, new entrants wanting to commence a career as a financial adviser must:
1. Complete an approved degree
2. Undertake a professional year
3. Pass the financial adviser exam
- Professional designations, such as the SSA® or SSAud® are issued by the SMSF Association and highlight your expertise and competence within the SMSF sector.
- The relevant SMSF Association designation is valid whilst you remain a member of the Association and meet your CPD obligations as required. If you relinquish your membership your SMSF designation can no longer be used.
- Finance professionals seeking advanced technical and specialist knowledge.
- Members wanting a formal study pathway to achieve the Association designations – SSA™, SSAud®.
- Professionals with other common industry accreditations (CA, CFP, CPA etc) now looking to develop further capacity to work with clients who have SMSFs.
- Those wanting to add a financial specialist qualification to their academic achievements.
One of the course’s unique features is that it has been designed to provide the student with a qualification and an industry designation, through completion of their corresponding study units.
There are 4 subjects to complete to gain this qualification, this includes 3 core subjects, and 1 of 3 electives options.
SMSF Best Practice
This subject will provide students with an underpinning in the concepts and theories of SMSF operations. Students will consolidate their existing knowledge and skills base and extend this into complex SMSF scenarios. Students will study and evaluate complex financial retirement scenarios to identify best practice methods for guiding SMSF trustees through the various stages of an SMSF: establishment, accumulation, transitioning to retirement and drawdown. Within these scenarios there should be a focus on the role of portfolio construction and investment management strategy when using SMSFs as an investment vehicle for retirement. Students will study and evaluate complex financial retirement scenarios to identify best practice methods of SMSF operations and will be expected to apply theories of portfolio construction and investment management to SMSF scenarios.
SMSF Strategic Advice
This subject provides an understanding of where strategic advice opportunities exist for trustees/members that have SMSFs or are interested in setting one up. It examines the practical stages or steps required to realise each of the opportunities explored using examples and case studies.
The subject explores complex strategies that can be utilised by an SMSF at various stages of its lifecycle. In particular, students will conduct an in-depth analysis of the sophisticated financial instruments available and how they can assist with achieving SMSF fund goals and objectives.
Understanding SMSF Trustees
The subject aims to develop advisers’ knowledge and skills in behavioural finance and how this affects the decision-making process of SMSF trustees. Students will examine the central tenets from the field of behavioural finance, particularly those findings that provide insights into psychological influences in investment decision‐making. Investors’ decisions are influenced by a range of factors, some of which operate beyond conscious awareness and may result in measurable, systematic biases in investment decisions
*SMSF Association members who complete the 'Auditing Standards for SMSFs' elective may attain the SMSF Specialist Auditor (SSAud®) designation, assuming all other conditions are met.
*SMSF Association members who complete the 'SIS Regulations and Taxation' elective may attain the SMSF Specialist Advisor (SSA™) designation, assuming all other conditions are met.