Complaints against the SMSF Association
Financial members and internal staff may institute a complaint against the SMSF Association relating to the Association’s corporate governance, operational procedures and accountability, or services offered.
The SMSF Association has an obligation to consider complaints against it from members and internal staff. It is important to note that this process is not a legal process, but rather an internal process to resolve any complaint raised against the operations or governance of the Association. This complaints process is not for commercial disputes.
The SMSF Association has no legal capacity to make awards for damages or restitution of property. If you are seeking such resolution, then you should seek legal advice.
Complaints against the SMSF Association must be in writing and include the following:
- Details of the complaint including a background and chronological timeline, with relevant dates, if applicable
- Supporting documentation where applicable
- Details of any action already taken to resolve the matter
- Contact details and signature of the complainant – we will not accept anonymous complaints
Complaints are to be submitted to the Complaints Officer via:
Email: [email protected]
Mail: SMSF Association
PO Box 3296
Rundle Mall SA 5000
After a complaint is lodged, the Association will:
- Acknowledge receipt of the complaint within 10 days
- Determine whether it is a complaint that can be dealt with by the Association – if not, the complainant will be notified
- Seek additional information if required
A review of the complaint, and any investigation required, will be conducted by the SMSF Association CEO and Executive Committee. Should the complaint involve the CEO, the Chair of the Governance, Nomination and Remuneration Committee will conduct the review and any investigation required.
The CEO will provide a written response to the complainant providing a detailed explanation addressing the allegations raised by the complainant, together with any supporting documentation.
If the complainant is not satisfied with the decision provided, they may request a review of the outcome in writing stating the grounds for the review.
Reviews will be conducted by the SMSF Association Governance, Nomination and Remuneration Committee. The determination may be:
- Confirm the decision
- Vary the decision
- Set aside the decision and replace it with another decision