National Conference 2022
In many estate planning exercises, superannuation is either the second largest – or largest – asset.
As superannuation savings continue to accumulate, the number of death benefit related disputes in the self managed superannuation fund space is also increasing.
It is critical for advisers to understand the key rules. This session will explore the crucial issues in this regard, including:
- The interrelationship between attorneys, enduring attorneys, guardians, super fund trustees, executors and BDBNs;
- The ability for attorneys to make BDBNs and manage ‘fast death tax’;
- The implications of the leading court decisions in this area, and;
- Superannuation wills.
At the end of this session, you will be able to:
- Have a clear understanding on the current key issues in relation to BDBNs;
- Know how ‘cascading’ BDBNs operate;
- Know about opportunities for value adding advice, and;
- Learn about managing risk in relation to superannuation related areas of estate planning.
The contents of this resource are taken to be correct at the time of publication.
Disclaimer: Technical Papers contain general advice only and are prepared without taking into account particular objectives, financial circumstances and needs. The information provided is not a substitute for legal, tax and financial product advice. Before making any decision based on this information, you should assess its relevance to the individual circumstances of your client. While the SMSF Association believes that the information provided is accurate, no warranty is given as to its accuracy and persons who rely on this information do so at their own risk. The information provided in this bulletin is not considered financial product advice for the purposes of the Corporations Act 2001. © SMSF Association